While the Fourth of July is a time to celebrate our country’s independence, enjoy summer vacation, and watch as fireworks explode in the sky, it is also a time when many individuals take the opportunity to engage in crime. This article will look at some of the most common types of Fourth of July crimes and provide some tips for preventing these crimes from occurring.
Types of Crimes
Some of the most frequent crimes committed during the Fourth of July include the following:
- Alcohol Use or Possession by a Minor: With many people drinking to celebrate the Fourth of July, sometimes alcohol finds itself into the hands of a minor. It is a misdemeanor for a person under the age of twenty one to have an alcoholic beverage in their possession in any public place.
- Disturbing the Peace: With all of the celebration and festivities that occur during the Fourth of July, it is only natural that some individuals are are caught disturbing the peace. Possible consequences of these charges are jail time and a fines.
- Driving Under the Influence: Driving under the influence is a common crime during the Fourth of July, unfortunately. Driving Under the Influence can be charged as a misdemeanor felony based upon the circumstances of the case.
- Drug Possession: Some Fourth of July parties involve drug use including marijuana, cocaine, and ecstasy. Possession of these substances and other controlled drugs is a misdemeanor that carries both a fine and time in jail.
- Indecent Exposure: Fourth of July celebrations sometimes get so far out of hand that indecent exposure occurs. Indecent exposure is willfully exposing your genitals to someone else while motivated either by a desire to sexually gratify yourself or to offend others. These charges carry fines and time in jail.
- Lewd or Dissolute Conduct: Fourth of July parties certainly have a tendency to get out of control, which means that they can involve lewd conduct. Under California Penal Code, it is a crime to publicly solicit or engage in lewd conduct. These crimes carry jail time and fines.
Tips to Prevent Fourth of July Crimes
There are some basic steps that individuals can take to avoid crimes from occurring this Fourth of July season, which include the following:
- Avoid Getting Robbed: Carry only the credit cards that you need and minimal cash. Do not be obvious about the location of any of these items.
- Do Not Drink and Drive: Do not drink and drive this holiday season.
- Drive Defensively: To prevent getting into accidents with others who might be drinking alcohol, drive defensively, leaving ample room around your vehicle.
- Items in Your Car: If you must put items in your car, make sure that these items are placed out of sight.
If you find yourself in need of a skilled and experienced criminal defense attorney this Fourth of July Season, contact the skilled criminal defense attorney Sean Leslie.