California criminal law can seem overwhelming, and not only because there are many regulations to follow. If you have been convicted of a crime in California, you need the assistance of a seasoned and experienced criminal defense lawyer. With the assistance of an expert criminal defense lawyer, you have a better chance of facing the minimum amount of negative consequences from criminal charges. Considering that reports indicate that there are 187,610 licensed lawyers in the State of California, you might have a difficult time choosing a skilled criminal defense lawyer in the state. This article will discuss several signs that an you can look for to find a skilled criminal defense lawyer.
- Experience with Similar Cases: Experience is important in finding a skilled criminal defense lawyer. The lawyer will preferably have a long and distinguished track record of defending others in similar criminal cases and reaching positive outcomes in these cases. Because the California criminal law system is quite complicated, it is important to find a lawyer who has a history of expertly handling criminal law cases and navigating the criminal law system.
- Experience with the Same Judges and Prosecutors: Not only should the lawyer in question have experience in the California criminal law system, the lawyer should also have experience working with the same judges and prosecutors that are involved in the case. This way the lawyer will know how to best anticipate maneuvers by each of these parties and know the various types of presentation methods that are preferred by the judge.
- Established Fee Methods: The price of various attorneys can be a determinative factor for many individuals. It is a wise idea to obtain a written agreement from your lawyer addressing the various fees and prices that will be charged to resolve this matter before legal representation commences.
- A Good Lawyer Will Make No Promises: Because criminal law cases can be decided by a variety of factors, a lawyer will not make empty promises to a lawyer that the case will have a positive result. Instead, the lawyer will tell the client that the case is impossible to predict, suggest various factors that might influence the outcome of the case, promise to work zealously to obtain the best results, and avoid making promises to the client that cannot be fulfilled.
- Third Party Organization Rating: A good indication of a lawyer’s abilities are whether the attorney has been awarded any recognition achievements by third party lawyer rating organizations. It might also be a good idea to determine whether the lawyer in question belongs to any professional organizations or speaks to groups of experts in public about areas involving criminal defense.
- Be Comfortable with the Lawyer’s Support Staff: It is impossible for a lawyer to handle every matter involving your case so make sure that you are comfortable with your lawyer’s support staff and feel that this group will be able to work diligently to obtain positive results in your case. It is perfectly acceptable to ask to meet this group prior to hiring the attorney’s services. Also, make sure that you are comfortable with this group knowing the personal details about your case.
If you seek one of the top criminal defense attorneys in the area, contact criminal defense attorney Sean Leslie.